Stay Close by Alexa Riley
(Digital ARC from NetGalley)
The Hot One by Carolyn Murnick
(True Crime, Digital ARC from NetGalley)
One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
(Young Adult Mystery, Print, Library)
Father by Clarissa Wild
(Digital Borrow from Kindle Unlimited)
DNF @ 43%
Too many confusing parts. Frank isn’t a Catholic priest, but he wears a clerical collar, receives confession, and is called “father”? He certainly doesn’t behave like a preacher…even a lapsed one. He’s quite a dirty talker, which I have trouble reconciling with a man of the cloth.
Also, the dark back story is pretty depressing. There’s A LOT of violence and revenge. I skimmed the second half of the book and got the gist of the story and I’m glad I didn’t continue reading. The rest of the book concentrated on the family drama and revenge aspect of Frank’s past as well as Laura’s. I liked the first part of the story more, when it focused on the taboo attraction between Frank and Laura.
No star rating since I did not finish.
- SO MANY. Book Outlet was having a 15% off sale on top of their awesome prices, so I had an epic book haul! I bought mostly Eloisa James and Julia Quinn backlist titles.
- Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren (Print, Library)
This will actually be my first Christina Lauren book! I know, I’m late to the party.
- The Forbidden by Jodi Ellen Malpas (Digital ARC from NetGalley)
I was hoping to see this one at BookExpo but never did, so I was happy to see it on NetGalley. I’m really interested to see how this one goes…
Life or Something Like It
- My birthday was on July 5th. I took the day off work and had a relaxing day filled with cake and gift cards to my favorite bookstores. 😀
- Michael and I saw The Beguiled, which was just as awesome as I had hoped it would be. Now I want to see the original movie, so I placed it on hold at the library. I also have the book on hold.
- Next up on the movie list: The Dark Tower, which releases next month. SO EXCITED.
- I have a new pair of glasses on order from Zenni–they should be here in a few days! I tried the home try-on from Warby Parker, but didn’t love any of the five frames I selected. Most of them were too narrow for my head, which makes me feel like an ogre. I’ve been really happy with my frames from Zenni, though. Fingers crossed that my new frames fit okay.
Have a great week! 😀